"Give Thanks To Jehovah, For He is Good"
Psalm 106:1
2015 year text

Monday, December 22, 2008

"Cupboard Soup"


"Cupboard soup" is what I call soup made with whatever I have on hand.

There are no rules, no receipe just start adding things you find in your freezer, pantry, refrig in to a pot.

I usually start this way:
Add olive oil to your pot, about a 2-3 Tbs. then add, chopped celery, onion, carrots, saute these vegetables until, soft and you can smell their aroma in your kitchen. This is the basis for a real good soup.

Now what can you find to add? Do you have canned chicken or beef broth? Add that! If not add water, with a chicken or beef boullion cube. Add potatoe, cubed. I had some frozen greens (broccoli, spinach, green beans). Canned kidney beans, canned stewed tomatoes and a small hand full of rice, about a 1/4 cup. Fresh parsley I found in my refrig and it wasn't dead yet. Add plenty, at least 2 Tbs of Italian seasoning! (or some other herbs you may have that you like. my favorites are: Thyme, basil, oregano) Don't forget the salt and pepper! In a few moments when the rice is soft, you have Soup!

Go crazy! Experiment! It's FUN! And it will be GOOD!

4 comments:

sweet older sister said...

I forgot to mention, if you have a frozen chicken breast or canned chicken you may add that. Left over ham or beef? In it goes!

Pedaling said...

sounds like my kind of soup

Gram said...

Your Dad makes this soup quite often.

Lulu said...

I think when I was a kid we called that soup "slum gullion".
It also helps to add canned corn.
To really get fancy add some Italian sausage.

Northern beans are good too. (or pinto beans).

Pork and hominy.

I could go on and on.