"Give Thanks To Jehovah, For He is Good"
Psalm 106:1
2015 year text

Friday, January 16, 2009

Skillet Dinner


When I am trying to save a little extra money I go to the store as little as possible. Sometimes I see just how far I can push it off and still have something good to eat, besides my beloved soup. This is a skillet dinner that I like and can pull out of the cupboard.

First, if there is any bacon, fry until crisp. Then set aside, pour off drippings and add some olive oil to your pan. Saute some chopped onion and garlic. Then add rice, stirring until it just starts to turn golden. Now chicken broth (1 c rice to 2c broth.)and a can of drained beans. (black eyed peas, or kidney or white or black or pinto or garbonzo or....) Add any seasonings you may like. I use a big pinch of saffron if I have any. And 2 tbs salsa, and if any cilantro is in the frig I will add that. cover, about 20 -25 minutes. Just before done add the bacon on top.
Serve with corn bread. And enjoy your thrifty dinner!

3 comments:

Gram said...

Your skillet dinner sounds good. I like my grandparents' picture on your side bar. I did not have the opportunity to get to know them. I was a baby and with my brother and parents we shared an apartment with my grandparents (my Dad's parents). They passed on before I was old enough to remember them. I know that they were good christian people because they raised good children-my Dad and Uncles and Aunts.

Pedaling said...

looks yummy.
ted's really good at just picking nothing out of the cupboard like that too and coming up with a dinner for the whole family.
yours looks like it smells good too!

sandyseashells said...

Thanks for posting the ingrediates. I'm trying to get basic canned stuff and spices in my house. You cook with a wide variety of spices. I like that.