"Give Thanks To Jehovah, For He is Good"
Psalm 106:1
2015 year text

Monday, May 4, 2009

Genesis -Chapter 13- Abram and Lot part

As we continue in our Bible reading, we will learn more about God and his purposes thru his dealings with Abraham. This ancient history is important because we see how God progressively reveals himself to faithful ones.


Previously when we looked into the life of Abram and Sarai, we saw their trials of famine and fear for their life, while in an foreign land. That is not the end of their challenges, in Genesis chapter 13 we see them leave Egypt, along with Lot. Abram is heavily stocked with herds and silver. And Lot also, had sheep, cattle and tents. Their herdsman began to quarrel! They had grown so much that the land did not allow them to dwell together. What would they do?

Abram said to Lot: "Please, do not let any quarreling continue between me and you and between my herdsmen and your herdsmen, for we men are brothers. ...Please, separate from me. If you go to the left, then I will go to the right; but if you go to the right, then I will go to the left."-Gen 13:8 & 9.

Unselfishly, Abram gives the younger man first choice. Lot chose to live in the district of the Jordan. It was a fertile land, outwardly appearing like the "garden of Eden". Would Lot's choice prove to be a good one? -Gen 13:10-13.

Abram sets a fine example in handling differences. Never should we sacrifice peaceful relationships for the sake of financial gain, personal preferences, or pride!

After Abram and Lot part, Jehovah speaks to Abram saying: "...And I will constitute your seed like the dust particles of the earth, so that, if a man could be able to count the dust particles of the earth, then your seed could be numbered. Get up, go about in the land through its length and through its breadth, because to you I am going to give it." Gen 13:14-17

Obediently, Abram continued to dwell in tents as an alien resident in the land of Canaan, trusting in the promises of Jehovah all the time. What other challenges are ahead of Abram and Sarai? Continue reading to find out!

3 comments:

sandyseashells said...

ok

sandyseashells said...

I like how Abram went and rescued his brother Lot. And then, Sarai had to deal with being infertile, and then deal with another women in her husband's life. What an interesting dilema, with a lot of different emotions.
ps. when I say ok, it means I read your post, I enjoyed it, and I'll be back to comment on it.
I appreciate your knowledge of the Bible. I don't mean it, in a rude way. I don't type very fast, and "ok" is a quick way for me to say, "I'll be back".
Love you----sandy

sweet older sister said...

I like to see your "ok" I never think of you as rude.