"Give Thanks To Jehovah, For He is Good"
Psalm 106:1
2015 year text

Thursday, August 27, 2009

Writers are Different Breed!

Have you ever known a real life writer?
I have heard stories handed down of our Great-grandfather sitting and drinking beer, with the poet James Whitcomb Riley.

James Whitcomb Riley was born on Oct. 9, 1849 in Greenfield, Indiana. That's where our Great-grandpa lived, where our Grandma Carrie was raised. This poet wrote his first poem in 1870 at the age of 21. The poem "Little Orphant Annie" is known by any kid raised in Indiana, in fact, all school kids had to memorize this poem! Or was that just me? In 1883, James Whitcomb Riley had his first published work entitled, "The Old Swimming Hole and 'Leven More Poems."

I wonder what our Great-grandpa thought as he watched his friend progress in his chosen writing career. Maybe, it's like what I feel as I watch my young friend, as she proceeds to write a kids book. It is kinda exciting to hear about her writing process. Watching her learn about the ins and outs of publishing world is very interesting.... AND entertaining! One of the things she has done is start a blog. This seems to be the first step these days in getting a publisher to pay attention to your work. I have been following HER story from the first day she blogged, it is to me very entertaining and I wanted to share my friend with you.

But don't take my word for it.
I encourage anyone who has an interest in writing or just enjoys reading, to take a look at Shannon's Blog, see if it brings a smile to your face.

Be sure to start from the beginning as she tells her story of how she found joy in writing!

Check Shannon out here:

http://ramblingsofawannabescribe.blogspot.com

For the Whole story (be sure and start from the beginning) click here: http://ramblingsofawannabescribe.blogspot.com

Who knows? Someday when she becomes famous, you can say, "I've known about her from the beginning!"





8 comments:

Pedaling said...

wonderful- writing is something ted hopes to have some time for someday soon. he would love to write a novel.

for me the blog satisfies my need....

i love a good writer- what a talent!

sweet older sister said...

Did you read all her entries. And did they make you laugh? Of course, I can hear her tone in my head as I read, so I laugh alot!

sandyseashells said...

I'll check it out. (shannon)
I can remember Grandma Carrie reciting those poems when I was young. The One I remember a lot was "A beau ben Adam." I'm unsure of the correct spelling but I can hear grandma reciting it in my head.

sandyseashells said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
sandyseashells said...

'There. Little girl, don't cry...'
I really like that one, on your sidebar.

Shannon Messenger said...

Thanks for the mention. You officially get the title of my first fan!

Shannon Messenger said...

Oh, and P.S., I figured out how to follow you (who knew there was a link at the very top?)

Jen said...

Good writing is so fun!

The only poem I can remember, attribute to Grandma Carrie was

Poor ol' me broken hearted
Came to jish but only farted.

Now, is this a true story?!